In order to be given the required “endorsement” by the club for members to purchase their first General Category Handgun;
A – You must hold a ‘FULL‘ General Category Handgun licence.
You should also decide which of the sport shooting discipline/s you want to participate in.
This WILL impact what type of handgun is best to purchase as a new target shooter.
Don forget to ASK fellow shooters at the range and also your Range Officers!
We are ALL here to help get you started in the sport.
To assist in which discipline, see HERE for a full list of Victoria Police Approved Handgun Shooting Matches.
This list will also assist in indicating which of the competitions you are entering in support of your Permit to Acquire.
B – Make sure you have a suitable safe to store your handgun/s in. See HERE for our guide to Securing Firearms.
C – Before a new member can purchase any class of handgun, they must have successfully completed the Training for Your Handgun License competency test under the supervision of a Range Officer AND received their Competency Certificate endorsed by an approved club trainer.
The requirements for Handgun Competency testing are;
- You MUST have completed ALL Level 1 and Level 2 competencies as detailed in the Training for Your Handgun License book.
- You must shoot 10 rounds at a standard ISSF target at 25M.
- You must fire 10 shots ONLY taking as much time as you need.
- All ten shots must be scoring shots INSIDE the outer 1 point scoring ring on the target.
- Should any 1 of the 10 shots at the test target be non scoring or missed from the target, then another test session on a different day/attendance will need to completed, as more practice is required.
- If you complete a test target with a .22 caliber pistol you are ONLY qualified to purchase an air pistol or a .22 caliber pistol.
- If you complete a test target with a .38/.357 caliber revolver you are qualified to purchase a Centrefire revolver OR a .22 and smaller but not for a Centrefire semi-auto.
- If you complete a test target with a 9mm Centrefire semi-automatic pistol you are considered qualified to purchase class 2 and 3 handguns from .22 caliber ONLY up to .357 caliber.
- Once you have successfully completed your competency test the Range Officer supervising you will complete our SSPC PTA Attachment – Competency Test form.
- You will need to submit this form along with a copy of your Level 3 Competency Certificate, the Permit to Acquire (available from VicPol website), and a SSPC Form 3, to the SSPC Committee for assessment to approve your handgun purchase.
- New members who have LESS than 12 months competition experience are not permitted use/purchase of .45 caliber pistols.
- Members with more than 12 months shooting experience are required to have completed at least 4 competitions in 12 months with a score of 300 or better for club endorsement in the acquisition of .45 caliber pistol.
D – With steps (A) to (C) in place you may go out and find a handgun. Most dealers will let you either pay a deposit or the full cost of the handgun you choose and keep it in storage until you can obtain your Permit to Acquire. This way you know exactly, make, model, serial number etc. that is required on your permit application.
E – Download the Permit to Acquire form from www.sspc.org.au and complete all relevant sections.
F – Fill out the SSPC ‘Form 3‘ with the same information and submit the Form 3 with your PTA.
G – Once you have completed the Level 3 Competency Certificate, the SSPC PTA Attachment – Competency Test form, the Permit to Acquire (available from VicPol website), and a SSPC Form 3, place everything in an envelope and into the green letterbox outside range 1 for it to be processed. Please DO NOT staple pages together.
H – For more information see the SSPC FAQ – Purchasing First Handgun.
I – For members who already have firearms, a Form 3 is still required with every purchase and a test target is required if you are ‘moving up’ in caliber from that which you have previously passed a test target for. Please see the SSPC FAQ – Purchasing a Handgun.